FAQ: What to do if AbiWord fails to open or convert a document
First, please check the following three points, in the order that seems most logical in the particular circumstances:
1. Search bugzilla to confirm that there is not a known bug or RFE addressing the document format you are trying to load.
2. Ensure the document is valid, not corrupt:
- Can other word processors open the file?
- Was the file corrupted on download?
- Was the file corrupted by some other means (transferring from floppy / digital camera)?
- Is it corrupt on the originating site?
- Was the file actually saved in the format you expect?
3. Confirm that AbiWord supports the document file format and *version* you are trying to load, and, if so, do you have the necessary plugin installed?
- Was your document saved in a *version* of a format which AbiWord supports? For example, is your document saved as one of the latest Microsoft Word (R) documents or was it saved as a Word Perfect (R) document from the early 80s? If so our importer may not (fully) handle it yet — please consider filing a bug anyway (after checking to make sure it will not be a duplicate), but mark it as a request for enhancement (RFE).
- AbiWord importers are usually built as plugins so as not to bloat the core word processor. If you need support for a particular file format, please ensure you have the corresponding plugin and that it has successfully loaded. See =tools->plugins= for currently loaded plugins.
- See the Plugin Matrix for a starting point as to which file formats are supported.
Finally, if after you have verified that the document is in a format supported by AbiWord, is not corrupted, and there is no relevant bug report or RFE, the problem is not resolved, file a new bug in bugzilla.
Help the developers by attaching a sample document, and monitor the bug occasionally to see if a developer needs any additional information. _Actually, if you include your email address when you make the bug report (or add your email address for a cc), you will be notified of any changes made to the bug report._
See [] for more information about reporting bugs.
Of course, if you are a programmer and can fix the problem yourself ...
To translate an Abiword file to Text, see FaqAbiWordNativeFormatToText.