FAQ/Always save as Word
Q: How can I make AbiWord save my files in MS Word (*.doc) format by default?
(tested on Ubuntu 9.04)
- Go to Applications -> Accessories -> and open a Terminal
- run this command (requires your own password):
sudo gedit /usr/share/abiword-2.6/system.profile
- Change this content:
- Adding this line:
<SystemDefaults DefaultSaveFormat=".doc" />
- Save and close the text editor, and close the terminal.
Note for developers: Is desirable to add a field on the preferences GUI, to make possible the user selects any format in a list as default.
A: This works on Windows XP, Windows 2000, and any other WinNT descendant (like server 2003, etc.) You should be able to specify any extension you want, if you want something other than AbiWord (*.HTML, *.rtf, etc.)
To change what format AbiWord saves in, you should:
1) Exit AbiWord
2) Open the folder C:\Documents and Settings\ _Your User Name_ \AbiSuite
Note: on Windows Vista (and Windows 7?) the folder is C:\Users\ _Your User Name_ \AbiSuite
3) Open then file Abiword.PROFILE in Notepad. If you use AbiWord, it will save over your changes. That's why you have to exit AbiWord before saving changes.
4) Towards the bottom, there is a section like this
<Scheme name="_custom_" ZoomPercentage="116" />
You need to add a line
DefaultSaveFormat=".doc" above the
It should now look like this:
<Scheme name="_custom_" ZoomPercentage="116" DefaultSaveFormat=".doc" />
5) Save the file, and exit Notepad.
6) Startup AbiWord, and you should be set!
Mac OS X
This hint should also work on Mac OS X 10.4 and AbiWord 2.2.10.
Abiword.Profile can be found in the library folder of your user account:
DefaultSaveFormat=".rtf" is possible.