Re: justify

Lan Barnes (
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 06:24:23 -0700

Robert Sievers wrote:
> At 02:04 PM 10/3/99 +0200, mekka[atheistica] wrote:
> >dear abis,
> >
> > recently i notified, that everyone, to who i recommendet to try abiword,
> >reacted that they can only use the features align-right align-left and
> center.
> >they did miss the feature to justify. dont know how difficult this is, but
> >actually it would be a nice feature.
> >
> >(dont wanna push)
> As an Open Source project, sometimes we do not know when a given feature
> will get added.
> For example, in the case of full justification, Bruce Pearson read your
> mind and submitted a patch last week. There will most likely be a few
> things that need to be tweaked here and there, but the basic functionality
> will be there in 0.7.6.

Not to be a pedant, but as an old copy editor, there is neither
"right" nor "left justify" in type setting; the correct terms are
"flush right" and "flush left." That right 'n left J thing is a
computer abomination. "Justify" has only one meaning, and that is
flush to the measure on both sides.

Whew! That felt good. Had it on my chest a long time. But I doubt
if my correction will reverse the tide of misuse.

Lan Barnes
Icon Consulting, Inc       619-273-6677