From: Raphael Finkel (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 16:22:45 EDT
I just got today's CVS version and compiled on Linux against gtk-2.0, glib-2.0,
--enable-xft. I am using Abiword for Yiddish texts.
1. Apparently I no longer need to have a fonts/utf-8 directory, even though I
set my language variable to he_IL.utf-8. (good; building such a directory is a
2. As soon as I click on the Font menu (where it starts with Times New Roman)
I get an abort (not good). Luckily, I can use the ^D menu without problems
3. By renaming my dictionary to yiddish-yivo.hash (likewise for encoding), I
get proper Yiddish spell checking, with underlining of badly spelled words
4. When I have an underlined word indicating bad spelling, right click brings
up a menu with suggestions. All the suggestions are invisible. I can only
figure out what they contain by trying them (not good).
5. The text displays fine with Times New Roman and with Arial, except that
combining characters not only modify the previous character (good) but leave an
empty rectangle in the next space (not good).
6. The font-choice menu (^d) doesn't show a sample of text until I click on
one of the suggested fonts, even though the intially selected font can display
the text (not great). This display does not show combining codes combining
with the previous letter (not good). Nor does it show the text in proper Bidi
order (not good).
7. The spelling-correction box I get with F7 shows incorrectly spelled text in
a different font (ok) in correct Bidi order (good) with combining marks
properly combining (good) and with no empty rectangles after combining marks
(good). Double-clicking on one of the suggestions does not have the effect of
auto-invoking "change" (ok, but could be improved). Typing in a replacement in
the Change to: box does not auto-invoke "change" when I type the <cr> (ok, but
could be improved). I can type in utf-8 characters in the "Change to" box
(using xmodmap to re-key my keyboard) (good), and the characters are properly
displayed (good). But when I activate with "change", I discover that some
characters are misunderstood, primarily (but not only) combining characters
(not good); they are replaced by other characters.
8. I have started to build a yi.po file for Yiddish. I've done about 1/5 of
the file. I'll provide it when I am done.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.4 : Fri Sep 13 2002 - 16:26:30 EDT