RE: Big wv/LibOLE2 patch

Subject: RE: Big wv/LibOLE2 patch
From: sam th (
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 04:49:11 CDT

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, James Montgomerie wrote:

> If you've compiled a debug build, but don't start it from a terminal, what
> does UT_assert() do? Does it still wait for an 'enter' before continuing,
> even though there's no hope of getting one, or does it time-out? If it
> times out, that could also explain the long load times, as I've been coming
> up against tab and run asserts when importing more convoluted documents
> (not, I think, the importer's fault, but something to do with display). I
> can post the docs somewhere if anyone's interested.

I just tested it out, an although the asserts appear in the text tty (I
use startx), they have no effect on the operation of abiword. But,
you get a different effect if you redirect all the text output to
/dev/null - namely, abiword becomes unusable on asserts. So don't do
that. :-)

> I agree that it's more likely to be an internal wv fault [though I'm
> beginning to think of them as 'word file format faults :-] that's causing
> Martin's 'apparently infinitely looping' problem though.

binary format == evil
text format == good

> Jamie.

                                     sam th