Re: Type on top of a PDF?

Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 17:44:38 EST

  • Next message: Dom Lachowicz: "Re: Type on top of a PDF?"

    On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 02:33:36PM -0800, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
    > This is called form-filling, and the only tool I know
    > of the currently handles this (from a user
    > perspective) is Adobe Acrobat.

    Indeed. As long as the PDF was either created with fields to be
    filled, or is not locked, or you want to crack the file.

    > There are other tools out there that can fill in
    > forms, such as the FDFTk, iText, FDFMerge. These are
    > generally command-line tools or libraries.

    Right. I am looking for the "electronic typewriter" kind of tool.

    > At the moment these are your only alternatives.

    It amazes me that nobody has identified this need and filled it yet.

    > Importing PDF will be no small feat.

    You think? There are already lots of way to render PDF. Acrobat
    itself will produce a PS file from the PDF, which could then be read
    by Ghostscript to produce some importable format such as png, or tiff,
    etc. Or GS could be used directly on the PDF, although my experience
    with it is that it's not quite perfect yet.

    > Your easiest
    > solution may be to continue using the printer + a pen.

    Yeah, I know. It sucks though. 'Specially when one of the "fields" to
    be filled in is a large blank space to be written into "paragraph
    style". Gets real messy, real fast.


    Brian J. Murrell

    ----------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to with the word unsubscribe in the message body.

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.4 : Thu Feb 06 2003 - 17:48:17 EST