AbiWord uses plugins to provide less used functionality without increasing the size of the base AbiWord installation. This page lists the plugins available, their functionality (if not obvious from the name), and their status.
Import Export Filters
|Plugin Name||Stable||Dev||OS||Brief Description|
|applix||++||++||*||Import and Export Applix Word files|
|bz2abw||+++++||+++++||*||Import and Export BZ2 compressed AbiWord files|
|clarisworks||+||+||*||Import and Export Clarisworks files|
|docbook||++++||++++||*||Import and Export Docbook files|
|eml||+++++||+++++||*||Import and Export as MS Outlook Email files|
|+++++||+++++||Unix||View any Image that GTK+ can |
(this is incorporated into Abiword itself in versions 2.2.4 and later)
|graphics/bmp||++++||++++||*||View Bitmap Images|
|graphics/jpeg||+++++||+++++||*||View JPEG Images|
|+++++||+++++||Unix||View Scalable Vector Graphics|
|+++++||+++++||*||View and format images that ImageMagick supports |
(this has been removed since AbiWord 2.2.4)
|graphics/svg||+||+||NA||Dont use this. Does not work|
|graphics/wmf||+++++||+++++||*||View Windows Metafiles|
|+++||Win32||View BMP, WMF, and JPEG images|
|hancom||+||+||*||Hancom Word Importer. Only does text|
|hrtext||++++||++++||*||Export text with "newsgroup" markup|
|html||+++||+++||*||Import HTML files|
|iscii-text||++++||++++||*||Import/export ISCII text files (Indic script)|
|kword||++||++||*||KWord Import and Export|
|mswrite||+++||+++||*||Import MSWrite files|
|nroff||+||+||*||Nroff/Man file format|
|Office Open XML||+++||+++||*||Import and Export Office Open XML files. Exporter is 3 stars, importer 2.|
|OpenWriter||++++||++++||*1||Import and Export OpenOffice files|
|OpenDocument||+++||++++||*1||Import OpenDocument files|
|pdb||+++||+++||*||Import/export Palm Database files|
|++||++||*||Export Adobe PDF files? (see FaqCreatingPDFs first)|
|psion||+++||+++||*||Import and Export Psion files|
|pw||+||+||*||Import PatheticWriter files|
|sdw||+++||+++||*1||Import StarOffice 5.x files|
|t602||+++||+++||*||Import T602 files|
|wml||++++||++++||*||Import and Export WML files|
|WordPerfect||++++||++++||*1||Import Wordperfect files|
|WordPerfect||NA||NA||*1||Export Wordperfect files (currently disabled)|
|xhtml||++++||++++||*||Import html/multipart html|
|xsl-fo||+++||+++||*||Import and Export XSL-FO|
|Plugin Name||Stable||Dev||OS||Brief Description|
|abicommand||+++||+++||*2||Allows command line control of AbiWord|
|abigimp||+++||+++||*||Edit Embedded Images with a paint program, usually the Gimp (aka abipaint)|
|aiksaurus||+++++||+++++||*2||English language thesaurus|
|babelfish||++++||++++||*||Translate selected text|
|freetranslation||++||++||*||Translate selected text|
|gdict||++++||++++||Unix||Look up definitions of selected text|
|++++||++++||*||Search Google for your selected text|
|gypsython||++||++||*||Python MailMerge |
(this has been removed for AbiWord 2.4)
|OTS||+++||+++||Unix||Create document summaries|
|shell||+++||+++||*||Execute shell commands from within AbiWord|
|urldict||++||++||*||Web URL based dictionary|
|wikipedia||++||++||*||Search online encyclopedia for selected text|
Notes for the Reader
- If the plugin name appears as a link (blue), follow the link to get more explanation of the plugin.
- If the same plugin appears twice in a table, it may be to show different ratings for different features. (Example: The wordperfect plugin is shown twice, once for import, once for export, with different ratings for each.)
- All “published” plugins are available at http://www.abisource.com/download/plugins.phtml unless the rating (e.g., “+++”) appears as a link (i.e., blue) – if so, follow the link to find the plugin. Not all plugins are “published” – in the words of Mark Gilbert: “We don’t provide binaries of the totally-not-working or not-even-buildable plugins (which may be listed in the matrix). There is also sometimes inconsistency from one release to another (for example, rui built abiaik for 1.0.3, but not 1.0.4).” It will be a goal of this page to try to refine this information and present it better – your help is needed.
- If it becomes appropriate, we may add two more columns to indicate the last known revision for which the plugin was available (or find a way to incorporate it in the existing columns).
Shamelessly copied (with *minor* changes) from KOffice 1.2 Filters.
- +++++: The plugin is stable and works well.
- ++++: The plugin generally works well.
- +++: The plugin generally works well, however some features might be missing or might not work correctly yet.
- ++: The plugin generally works although it is not finished, and it may suffer from some instability.
- +: Work has begun on the plugin although the code is still at an early stage of development, and may not work properly.
- !: An author has volunteered to work on the plugin, although the code does not actually exist yet, or is at a very early stage of development.
- -: The plugin does not currently exist, and nobody is working on it.
- ?: The status of this plugin is unknown, as its development has been abandoned.
- *: For all AbiWord platforms, though availability may be limited.
1: These plugins while generally cross platform, require gsf/glib libraries. (Binaries may only be available in separate plugin package.) 2: Mostly cross platform, but requires work to support several of AbiWords supported ones. NA: Operating system/supported platforms Not Available or otherwise unknown (please update me!). Unix: Availability is limited to platforms with Unix features, e.g. Linux, Unix, and perhaps other Posix compatible operating systems. Win32: Availability is limited to platforms providing the Win32 (R) API, e.g. Windows, ReactOS, and perhaps Wine. Mac: Availability limited to Apple (Mac OS X and newer) compatibles.