AbiWord 2.1.5 "Eu amo o Bugzilla, você?" Release Notes
These release notes describe changes, system requirements, installation instructions, known issues, and feedback for AbiWord 2.1.5. These release notes are updated when we receive feedback, so feel free to check back for new information.
- In 2.1.4: 99 bottles of dead bug on the wall. Since 2.1.3 we've brought a quaking 99 filed bugs (and still many more unfiled) to their knees. This includes 2 marked showstoppers for certain platforms, 31 marked critical, and 4 marked major. Among these were three or four dataloss bugs. For a more detailed report of changes, albeit non-exhaustive, see the 2.1.4 changelog.
- In 2.1.5: A few dozen _more_ bugs, including a couple build regressions in 2.1.4 that kept it from being announced or long-lived. For a more detailed report of changes since 2.1.3, albeit non-exhaustive, see the full changelog.
- Plugins for the Windows builds of AbiWord 2.1 have been conspicuously absent...until now! Not only are there plugin bundles for 2.1 for the first time, but also there are more supported plugins than we've had in 2.0!
- First amongst three new subfeatures, you'll find that you can now 'AutoFit' tables.
- You can also 'sum' rows and columns in tables.
- Last but certainly not least, the textbox support has improved a good bit.
- AbiWord is fast and lean, leaving a very small footprint despite its wonderful features. It does not take much to run this word processor.
- Detailed system requirements are available at http://www.abisource.com/support/require/
- Installation varies from platform to platform, you probably know how to go about it for yours. If you have trouble, see the help pages.
- There is also help in the source distribution if you choose to build from source. See abi/docs/build/BUILD.TXT.
- Downloads may be found at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=15518.
- Additionally, many flavors of Unix or Unix-like environments carry AbiWord or have it in their ports collection or a package repository.
- There is a performance issue on OSX described in bug 6881. Its effect is limited to OSX, and does not appear in 2.1.1, which is still available (see bug).
- It has come to our attention that there may be an issue with using the 'Preferences' dialog on Windows 95. We have not isolated the cause of this bug yet, but we are still looking into it. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause. If you can help us with finding or fixing the bug, do please file any information you have on it at bugzilla.abisource.com.
- We're also trying to figure out an issue with the EML plugin on Windows. Apparently it does not work. As far as we know, this is specific to the Windows build.
- Printing from the command line on Windows appears to be broken in 2.1.x. It works in 2.0.x, but we still have not found the fix for this.
- While many bug fixes have been made, many bugs remain (particularly with those features only recently developed), and therefore this release is not recommended for production environments. However, careful testing and extensive use of bugzilla.abisource.com are encouraged.
- To request a feature or suggest an idea, see http://www.abisource.com/contribute/suggest/
- For support, see http://www.abisource.com/support/
- We cannot stress enough that while we want to find and fix bugs, duplicate reports only slow us down and divide resources. Please check for prior reports and add your comments there.
- We love CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. Be friendly, appropriate, and patient. It always helps to counter pointing out a problem by pointing out something you like. Developers will be much more eager to help.
- See http://www.abisource.com/contribute/
- AbiWord is free and open source. The developers are volunteers, and resources are limited. Any help is appreciated.