Re: AbiWord not starting

Robert Sievers (
Wed, 04 Aug 1999 10:55:26 -0500

At 06:53 PM 7/25/99 +0200, Birger Langkjer wrote:
>Den lÝr, 24 jul 1999 skrev du:
>> Hello,
>> I couldn't start AbiWord. I typed Abiword at the prompt, two grey
>> windows appears, but no contents on them. I red Abi-Faq and Abi-history
>> mailling list. I saw the same problem in a mail from:
>> Birger Langkjer (
>> Sun, 23 May 1999 16:55:45 +0200
>Hi. There _was_ an answer to this problem, but it was mailed to me
>directly. I hereby make it known to the world:
>You have to set LANG=en LINGUAS=en and LC_ALL=en before starting

Thanks for jumping on that and helping these guys out. Resetting those
variables may very well solve the problem.

Another more remote possibility is that the problem was caused by bug #505,, which was fixed in
0.7.4. To find out more then you would ever want to know about this
problem, you could also look at and, but the discussion
is a bit beyond what should happen on this particular list.

Robert Sievers
Open Source Evangelist