Re: Rendering problem with AbiWord

From: Robert <>
Date: Tue Apr 28 2009 - 02:26:50 CEST

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 15:07:18 -0700
Robert <> wrote:

Answering myself because the below has many errors.

> Thanks for responding. Yes, this did help...I guess. I added a couple
> of packages using the FreeBSD ports system. I added
> X11-font/freefont-ttf and X11-fonts/gnu-unifont-ttf.
> I checked the location in my xorg.conf file where Xorg was looking for
> fonts. I then added the following to my xorg.conf file:
> # added font paths April 27, 2009
> FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/bitstream-vera/

The above does nothing. The bitstream fonts were already present and

> FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/freefont-ttf/

The above added free fonts which do work fine.
> I found that I could then use the bitstream-vera fonts without any
> trouble. I then edited the normal.awt file locater
> at /usr/local/share/abiword-2.6/templates/ from Times New Roman to
> Bitstream Charter.

The above stands as stated with the exception of the bitstream fonts
were already active.

> Now I can create new documents and when I pull in an existing document
> I can "select all" and change it to Bitstream Charter. It definitely
> is a bandaid fix.
> All of the other files in directories at /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/ are
> gz files. I am not a programmer but I would _guess_ the Xorg upgrade
> is not opening those gz files for use by abiword.

This is it still. Those fonts that end in gz (gunzipped) can not be
used with abiword. At least I cannot use them.