From: January Weiner 3 (email@example.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 10:19:59 EDT
Well, I did took that time to check the problem, and now I get polish fonts
on the screen, in print, but still not in the exported RTF files:
1. Abiword needs LANG=pl_PL to be able to display and insert polish fonts.
I like to work with english or german-only programs, and I never use the
polish locale -- and this is why I never tried it. However, it is possible
to only change the character set settings with
That way, you can retain english menus, but still be able to insert polish
2. aogonek v. plusminus
One of the main ways to make the X server accept polish characters is to
use xmodmap. You create a mapping of the key codes to the characters that
are to be insterted, and run xmodmap mapfile. Basically, there are two
ways to create the file:
a) the only possible solution in older Xservers is to map the keys
to those characters from the iso-latin-1 set, which correspond to
the polish characters in the iso-latin-2 set, and then use an
iso-latin-2 font. This is the way you use, if you have something
like this in your xmodmap file:
keycode 0x1D = z Z questiondown macron
It seems that this is one of the many ways to shoot oneself in the
foot, and it was what I did have on my system.
b) the preferred solution in newer servers (>= 3.2, 4.x) is to have
a map which actually maps key codes to the real names of polish
keycode 0x1D = z Z zabovedot Zabovedot
...where `zabovedot' is the name of the polish character "ż".
Note that you need to have your locale set to pl_PL *before*
starting the X server, e.g.:
export LANG=pl_PL && xinit
Now, if you use solution a), you will run into problems when exporting RTF
to Word, printing etc. It is therefore a good thing to use the second
solution. However, as above, you will have all the messages displayed in
One way to get the fonts to work is to use the original Abiword
fonts, and substitute all "iso-8859-1" occurences in fonts.dir and
fonts.scale to "iso-8859-2".
However, this did not work for me when it came to print to
PostScript and export the RTFs. Damned! I thought.
However, it worked with the Unicode ttf fonts. Here is how I did it (all
operations done as root):
# change into the AbiWord directory
cp /usr/whatever/ttffonts/*.ttf fonts
/usr/share/AbiSuite/bin/ttfadmin.sh fonts ISO-8859-2
# create fonts.dir and fonts.scale. Requires ttmkfdir!
tail +2 fonts.dir > pipa
ttmkfdir | tail +2 | grep "iso8859-2" > pipa
cat pipa | wc -l | sed "s/ *//" > fonts.dir
# substitute font names with font names + " CE"
cat pipa | perl -p -e 's/(.*ttf -[^-]*-)([^-]*)(-.*)/\1\2 CE\3/' >> fonts.dir
cp fonts.dir fonts.scale
Ready. Now if you use these CE fonts (e.g. Arial CE etc.), you will have
polish characters on the screen, in the PostScript file you just generated.
However, still not in the exported RTF. HEEEEEEELLLLP!
Uff. Niech szlag trafi te cholerne fonty.
> Skoro nie ma ufo i obcych to dlaczego na każdej bramie jest napisane
> "obcym wstęp wzbroniony " [ lord pander ]
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
firstname.lastname@example.org with the word
unsubscribe in the message body.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.4 : Wed Apr 24 2002 - 10:21:22 EDT