Re: Feature Request - Grammar Checker

Subject: Re: Feature Request - Grammar Checker
From: Michael Leddy (
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 16:38:42 CDT

Robin wrote

> Grammar checkers are at best irritating and at worst misleading. In the
> days when I used MS Word, I would sometimes turn on the grammar checker
> for amusement. Frequently it would mark sentences as ungrammatical which
> I was convinced were perfectly normal English <snip>

You're absolutely right. There's a helpful writing handbook (the sort of
book college students use in freshman comp) by Diana Hacker, A Writer's
Reference, with sidebars pointing out (all through the book) the kinds of
mistakes grammar checkers cannot spot. Nothing can really replace a
writer's careful attention to his or her work. Michael