Re: Abisuite database

Subject: Re: Abisuite database
From: Randy Kramer (
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 09:57:57 CDT

Randy Kramer wrote:
> - A change in the paradigm users use -- think of the database as the
> place to store data, the spreadsheet as a (one) means to display and
> manipulate a snapshot of the data. Similarly, an address book and the
> content of Power Point slides belong in the database, and are extracted
> for particular uses (like a mail merge letter or a Power Point (or
> Impress, or whatever) presentation. (I guess mentally I'm slipping over
> into including free-format databases (like AskSam) as well as the more
> traditional and more structured relational databases in this
> discussion.)

PS: Just some additional ideas that are probably a long way from
-at some point word processor documents become part of or stored in the
-and another manifestation of the content of the database is a web site,
something like a wiki (or the AskSam web publisher (whatever it's

We don't want to start there, but it would be nice to evolve to there,
and making a database the centerpiece of an office suite might be the
first step.

Randy Kramer