Re: src.rpm?

Chuck Mead (
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 13:32:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Shaw Terwilliger said:

ST>Chuck Mead wrote:
ST>> I am looking for the spec file for the rpm which is why I need the src.rpm
ST>> file. Is that not open source?
ST>The spec file is in the source tree. The way we build RPMs is pretty
ST>backwards, but we do it to automate the process. Thus, our source
ST>RPM is about 80 MB, it includes every peer CVS module needed to build
ST>our tree, plus the object code from the _real_ compile. The
ST>source RPM expands in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES, it runs a dry
ST>make (nothing to be built), does the install, the packs everything
ST>up and cleans up.
ST>To make a real source RPM, we'd have to build different binaries
ST>for the RPM, static .tar.gz, and dynamic .tar.gz, which (besides
ST>adding to headaches of support and QA), would double the time
ST>it takes our build hosts to run through the build.
ST>If you want to take a look at how this process works, look at
ST>abi/src/pkg/linux, at the Makefile's rpm targets.

Okay.... that clears it up... thanx. We're doing some initial work on an rpm
based distro and plan to include abi into our "optional" packages. I guess
we'll prolly end up doing it the hard way. :-(

- --
Chuck Mead, CTO, MoonGroup Consulting, Inc. <>
Mail problems? Send "s-u-b-s-c-r-i-b-e mailhelp" (no quotes and no
hyphens) in the body of a message to
Public key available at:
Version: GnuPG v1.0.0 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see