Re: BeOs

Paul Rohr (
Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:02:51 -0800

At 01:28 PM 1/6/99 -0600, Robert Sievers wrote:
>At 01:41 PM 1/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>Is there any plans to make a port for BeOs?
>That depends. We do not intend to do one here, but are very open to the
>suggestion if there are people interested. Perhaps you and Mathew Allen
>should discuss it. We will do whatever we can to support such an effort.

We state right up-front on our website that:
We believe that the world needs a high-quality, cross-platform, Open
Source office suite, and the goal of this project is to build one.

We're very serious about the "cross-platform" part of this. While we don't
currently have the equipment or people in-house to do a BeOS port ourselves,
we've designed AbiWord with porting in mind. As Jeff points out in

AbiWord is an GUI application written in C++. It currently runs on Unix
systems using X11 and the GTK toolkit and on Windows ('95, '98, NT)
using the Win32 API. A lot of time and effort has been spent to make the
source code as cross-platform as possible. As of build 0.3.0, our code
is approximately 90% cross-platform (~46.5k cross-platform and ~6.5k

Anyone who's interested in doing a native BeOS port should grab the source
and take a look around. Those few places you see a unix or win
subdirectory, you'll need a beos equivalent.

Everyplace you see an xp directory, the work's already done. :-)