Re: Google Summer of Code 2009

From: Martin Sevior <>
Date: Sat Mar 07 2009 - 03:01:38 CET

HI Kartik,
           It's very cool that you are getting a start on this years
GSoC program and are still interested in AbiWord.
Last year Robert Staudinger proposed writing a DOM wrapper around our
PieceTable and FV_View operations. Instead we encouraged him to
develop a Cairo-based graphics class, which we've now incorporated
into our mainline builds.

Upon reflection it appears that a DOM wrapper could be the easiest way
for a broad adoption of our abiwidget by 3rd party developers.

There is considerable interest in building web-based applications
based on Java-scripting browsers. It would be really useful if we
could somehow allow that type of scripting to be re-used in AbiWord. I
actually have not investigated at all how this works so it would be a
useful thing to get started on.
ie Do some research and tell us how this Javascripting works and how
it used in web-browsers.

Also we have a hurdle requirement for all prospective GSoC students.
Please build the TRUNK version of AbiWord and demonstrate you've made
a small change to the codebase as listed here.

We were really impressed with xsun's enthusiasm last year, when he
submitted numerous patches to improve our latex exporter before the
GSoC started.

best regards,

Martin Sevior

I am a prospective student applicant for this years Gsoc. Last year I
was a bit late and couldn't have enough interaction with abiword's
developers. Though I am new to Abiword's code base but I have good
Gtk+ knowledge along with good experience in C++ . I am interested in
the working on the idea suggested by Fabian and will like to start
interacting regarding this as soon as possible.

Kartik rustagi