Re: Enchant dict vs provider

From: Enrico Tröger <>
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 20:59:15 CEST

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:44:24 -0400, "Dominic Lachowicz"
<> wrote:

> Hi Enrico,
> Enchant has preferences. The default set of preferences is here and
> gets installed to $prefix/share/enchant (I think):

Yeah, $prefix/share/enchant is true, at least for Debian ;-).

> [...]
> You can create a ~/.enchant/enchant.ordering file with:
> de:aspell

Thanks for explaining.
I wasn't looking particularly for "de", it was meant just as an
example :D.
So, it actually does something I imagined with 'automatic merge' in
that way, it tries known dictionaries until it finds something.
That's cool, just needs to be documented :D.

> If you prefer Aspell. You can programmatically override these by
> calling something like:
> enchant_broker_set_ordering(broker, "de", "ispell,aspell,myspell");

Ok, this isn't really necessary as this should be a user's choice
(generally). But wouldn't it be cool if this were documented somewhere?
Especially the ability to change the default ordering would be nice to
know for end-users (those who use an app which uses enchant).

Get my GPG key from