From: Martin Sevior (msevior_at_seviorpc.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 22:20:15 EST
Three months and 73,000 lines of code after our 2.0 release, the AbiWord
team is pleased to announce the first snapshot of our new development
This branch will eventually become AbiWord-2.2
The release has all the bug fixes made to AbiWord-2.0 plus the following
* Substantial speed ups for large document loading . (A factor 7
times faster for large documents.)
* Substantial speed ups for large table manipulations.
* Much less flickering.
* All documents instantly zoom to the requested size. (Including
very large ones).
* Set images as backgrounds to pages.
* Initial work to enable SWIG scripting of AbiWord.
* Set images as backgrounds to table cells.
* Table columns can be selected, copied, cut, pasted and dragged
and dropped visually.
* Split cells for Tables.
* Text Boxes.
* Initial work for a floating Style Pane.
* Visual copy/cut/paste of text. (You can visually drag text with
your mouse to where you want to place it)
* Import HTML tables into AbiWord
* Substantial improvements to revisions.
* Revision history.
* Rollback or roll forward of revisions.
* Compare documents and make revisions from the differences.
* Simple C-interface to enable AbiWord to be used as a document
Users should be aware that the features listed here are not yet bug free
and that more new features will be added for the AbiWord-2.2 release.
Binaries for AbiWord-2.1.0 are available from
The AbiWord developers encourage users to test this build and report
bugs to http://bugzilla.abisource.com/.
(Windows, QNX and SUSE binaries will follow shortly)
Abi the ant and her intrepid hackers and translators.
(Pierre Abbat, Johan Björk, Jeremy Davis, Hubert Figuiere, Raphael
Finkel, Francis J. Franklin, Tomas Frydrych, Daniel Furrer, Mark
Gilbert, Daniel Glassey, Dom Lachowicz, Tommy Lee, Jordi Mas, Marc
Maurer, Christian Neumair, Nadav Rotem, Rui Miguel Seabra, Francisco
Javier Fernandez Serrador, Martin Sevior, Nikolai Shmirev)
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.4 : Thu Dec 18 2003 - 21:22:59 EST