Re: undo and combining characters

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 13:02:02 EDT

    Andrew Dunbar <> wrote in

    > If we are going to do auto-ligating, we really should
    > provide an option for it.

    This can be done in three ways:

    1 Store ligating preference in the document
    2 Store ligating preferences in the AbiWord preferences
      (must only affect *new* documents; existing documents
      should use the preference stored in the document)
    3 On a case by case basis. E.g. the user right-clicks on
      a ligature and choses 'don't ligate', or selects a
      non-ligated character sequence (where ligating has been
      disabled and chooses 'ligate'). This can be done with
      zero-width joiners and non-joiners. See section 13.2
      at <URL: >.

    > Note also that it will be
    > font-dependent. It's always going to be possible to
    > use the 'fi' ligature codepoint but we might have some
    > fonts with the ligature and some without it.

    Yes, a ligature glyph should of course *only* be displayed if it

    Karl Ove Hufthammer