Fwd: Re: Debian: build on ppc fails?

From: Hubert Figuiere (hub@nyorp.abisource.com)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 18:10:08 EDT

    ----- Forwarded message from owner-abiword-dev@abisource.com -----

    Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 19:29:32 -0500
    From: "Daniel E. Eisenbud" <eisenbud@MIT.EDU>
    To: Masayuki Hatta <mhatta@po.airs.net>
    Cc: abiword-dev <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
    Subject: Re: Debian: build on ppc fails?

    On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 09:09:30AM +0900, Masayuki Hatta <mhatta@po.airs.net> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > > On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Masayuki Hatta wrote:
    > > > Debian's package auto-builder (aka build daemon) reported the build of
    > > > AbiWord on PPC failed. Seems something is wrong in
    > > > abi/src/text/fmt/xp/fp_PageSize.h?
    > > My guess is that on debian PPC one of the following is #defined somewhere:
    > > DIN_4B, DIN_2B, B0, B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B7, B8, B9, B10,
    > > thus screwing up the enumeration in abi/src/text/fmt/xp/fp_PageSize.h
    > You're right...and now it's clear when
    > 0) on Debian
    > 1) on PPC
    > 2) only with --enable-scripting

    Yup. Dunno why that include is there on PPC and not in x86. However,
    SUSv3 says that everything starting with B[0-9] is reserved. One fix is
    to just #undef B0, B1, ..., B10 in fp_PageSize.h, but if termios.h is
    included after fp_PageSize.h, while the build won't break, anything
    attempting to use B0 paper will get the wrong paper size, a source of
    possible annoyingly subtle bugs (B1 - B10 are not actually used in PPC
    glibc's termios.h -- the next defined baud rate is B50.) For safety's
    sake, it would probably make sense to rename all of B0 through B10 (I
    hope those aren't in an exported API?)

    Daniel E. Eisenbud

    "We should go forth on the shortest walk perchance, in the spirit of undying adventure, never to return,--prepared to send back our embalmed hearts only as relics to our desolate kingdoms." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walking"

    ----- End forwarded message -----