Re: Commit: unix prints from command line now

Subject: Re: Commit: unix prints from command line now
From: Martin Sevior (
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 21:58:15 CDT

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

> At 10:55 AM +1000 10/16/01, Martin Sevior wrote:
> >Another possibility is to ship gs with abiword and install it as a
> >printer.
> You mean GhostScript? That takes a PS file as input, not output?

When debugging windows printing we found it was possible to install
Ghostscript as a printer and print to that. It can be configured
to produce PS output to a file.
> >Does GS do PDF generation?
> Yes.

Cool :-)

Unfortunately this is APFL ghostscript for win32 which is distributed with
a license that prohibits commercial distribution. From my reading of the
license it appears that even distrubting it with a GPL'd program is not
allowed if you charge money for GPL'd program. In fact we would not even
be allowed to include it on a CD magazine cover. :-(

There is GNU ghostscript but it doesn't appear to be able to run on

Anyway you might interested in checking the website: