Re: Office converters

Subject: Re: Office converters
From: Michael D. Pritchett (
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 10:02:39 CST

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Sean Young wrote:

> All,
> Since the API is really simple, we could do the following:
> o Use the office importers in Abiword for Win32.

This is not usually a good thing. Those that have Office already
installed, generally don't need AbiWord. Still a plugin to allow usages
of this items sounds like a good idea.

> o Write our own office importer so that people using Word can save and
> load Abiword files. New .cnv files are automagically added; all that
> needs to be done is a create a standalone dll with the rtf importer
> and exporter, re-write the API and we're in business.

I like this one. We could easily distribute to people that already have
office so they could use .abw files without us having to convert for them.
I don't know how successful it will be to get office users to do that, but
it is a nice thought.

Just my thoughts.

Michael D. Pritchett