Re: FAQ -- why the MSDI interface? (aka, no pagers please)

Subject: Re: FAQ -- why the MSDI interface? (aka, no pagers please)
From: Paul Rohr (
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 17:26:24 CDT

At 09:46 AM 8/18/01 +0100, Andrew Dunbar wrote:
>Has anybody considered
>comparing our behaviour to that of MSWord? Its
>interface seems to be MDI built with SDI style windows
>and is not far off our interface other than closing
>the last window leaves Word open with no document.

I'm familiar with earlier (true MDI) versions of Word, but it sounds like
you're talking about something different. Could you give a more detailed
description (or screenshots or ASCII art) of what this UI looks like in the
following three cases?

  - two documents open
  - one document open
  - zero documents open

Of course, I'm particularly interested in the third case. ;-)

who still thinks following Web browser precedent is a Good Thing