Re: ispell multilingual spellchecking

Subject: Re: ispell multilingual spellchecking
From: Kevin Atkinson (
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 10:17:00 CDT

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Sam TH wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 12:08:12PM +0100, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> >
> > I am wondering whether it might not be better to help Kevin
> > Atkinson with getting the pspell library to build on Windows, than
> > putting all this effort into using an application which was not
> > designed to be used this way.
> That would be great, but I think libtool has serious issues on
> non-POSIX platforms. So it might be hard.

Libtool (multi-language-branch) can handle compiling DLL's and can handle
the dynamic loading of DLL's. What it can't handle is the proper
compiling of C++ libraries.

Also it is unlikely you will be able to use VC++ for Pspell and Aspell it
is best to use Gcc (wither the Cygwin or MinGW version). Although you may
have some luck with Pspell, Aspell is a whole other story. And Pspell is
not much use with out a spell checker. (Pspell has a module for Ispell
but it does it uses it through a pipe).

However, provided that you only the the extern "C" interface of Pspell
(which I believe you do), you should, at least in theory, be able to
compile Pspell/Aspell with MinGW Gcc and AbiWord with Visual C++. You can
easily provide binary versions of the Pspell/Aspell library for those who
want to work on AbiWord but don't want to mess with compiling it using

Kevin Atkinson
kevina at users sourceforge net