Re: Proposed POW: Integrate Pspell

Subject: Re: Proposed POW: Integrate Pspell
From: Kevin Atkinson (
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 03:15:24 CDT

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> Is there particular need for providing pspell API only in C++? May be it
> should also provide API in C - then there won't be problems with linking
> anywhere.

There are two different types of programs that need to link in with
Pspell. Applications and Modules. For applications a provide an "extern
C" interface which I strongly recommend programs use to avoid the
linking issue. For modules on the other hand there is only a C++
interface. This is because 1) There need to provide concrete implantations
of abstract base classes and 2) because they need to use a large number
of Pspell services that normal applications are not allowed to use. For
more insight on this I suggest you look at the Pspell header files. I try
to comment things fairly well. You might also want to look at the Ispell
(though a pipe) and Aspell module to get an idea of how modules are

This means that Pspell and its modules need to use compatibly compiles
while AbiWord and Pspell don't necessarily.

> As for problems with linking - Mozilla uses a lot of shared libraries that
> export C++ API - so their experience with dynamic linking to C++ libs could be
> used in AW.

Perhaps. If you know of someone who is familiar with how Mozilla dynamic
linking works it could be very helpful.

Kevin Atkinson
kevina at users sourceforge net