Re: Newcomer

Subject: Re: Newcomer
From: Martin Sevior (
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 17:51:45 CDT

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, WJCarpenter wrote:

> ms> I recently added code to prevent spell checking until an undo/redo
> ms> sequence is finished. This code is in the latest CVS. Are you
> ms> using the latest CVS code?
> Unfortunately, I don't think these changes fix the problem. I've
> noticed the code you added (sort of analogous to critical sections),
> and it's been there for a while, right? At least now I know why it's
> there :-).
> Anyhow, I don't think it's the timer-fired spelling stuff that's
> causing the problem here. I think it's the immediate spell check of
> words that's doing it. (Aside: some time ago, I mentioned on this
> list that even that immediate check was accomplished by queuing the
> block and having it done by the timer. I was incorrect. The
> immediate check [you know, after you type a space, you either get a
> squiggle or you don't for the word you just finished] is done
> synchronously via the "pending word" stuff.)

Ah this helps. Actually I originally put in the "don't do spell check now"
because piece table manipulations of lists was interacting badly with
spell checking. Then I noticed undo's and spell checking causing crashes
so I tried extending the concept there. I think that with a bit of thought
this idea might solve the undo/spell checking problem.

The code has been in place for about 3 weeks. I think that if someone can
come up with a repeatable crash sequence I can fix the bug.