problem with diff -N

Subject: problem with diff -N
From: sam th (
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 19:40:51 CDT

As the nightly build manager for AbiWord, I recieved a request for diff's
between the latest released source and the current cvs source. CVS makes
this easy to generate, so I added it. Then it turned out that this didn't
include the newly added files, so I added the -N command (which I have
always used for GNU diff).

That's when it didn't work. I turns out that the -N command does generate
diffs for the new files, but it doesn't do them in the nice way that GNU
diff does. Instead, it labels the old file as /dev/null and the new file
as a randomly named denizen of /tmp. Needless to say, this doesn't make
patch too happy (even it isn't that smart).

My question is, is there any way around this? Can I generate the diffs
that I have been asked for, with reasonable file names? This works just
fine diffing the checked-out copy and a new copy, with GNU diff. Is there
any way to accomplish this with CVS diff?

        sam th
        GnuPG Key:

Version: GnuPG v1.0.1 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see