Subject: Roadmap Update
From: Ashleigh (email@example.com)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 06:40:42 CST
Here is an update to the roadmap. It removes some of the things that
have been done, and adds a few other things. The names of people
assigned to do various things have been removed as requested. If there
are any features that we have finished but is still on the roadmap,
please email me.
- Last updated: 13 Nov 2000, the current tarball is 0.7.12
- Please see the explanatory notes at the
bottom of this list.
AbiWord will be at version 0.9 when it has
[substantially] all of the features we want in our "1.0" release.
Accordingly, the list below represents our current plan for the
"1.0" feature set. This list is still subject to a certain amount
of change. However, most of the features that we want for 1.0,
have been done.
Note that our target feature set for version 1.0 is very basic.
"Version 1.0 is the beginning, not the end."
After sufficient bug fixing on the 0.9 code base, we'll call it
1.0.0 and consider it to be a maintenance tree. When we're ready to
start adding post-1.0 features, we'll fork a new development tree
for the 1.1/1.2 series releases.
User feedback from the 1.0 release will be used to determine
priorities for the 1.2 release. The following list is extremely
tentative right now.
We're not quite sure where these features go yet.
- Finish headers and footers
- DLOG: File/Page Setup (aka Format/Section) (with page margins,
- DLOG: Borders and Shading
- DLOG: Styles
- DLOG: Insert/Page Numbers
- Context menu for images
- Context cursors for image
- switch to UTF-8 encoding for internal piece table storage
- Cleanup mapping of Unicode encodings to font encodings,
focusing on: bullets, dashes, fancy quotation marks, symbols,
- import/export WordPerfect
- image resize. Involves the addition of "handles" on the corners
and edges of the image, when it's selected for resize. Requires
mouse interaction and drag code. This should be possible to do
entirely in XP code.
- vertical keeps (partially done, in fb_ColumnBreaker.cpp)
- horizontal keeps
- Qt port, anyone? :-)
- MacOS port, anyone?
- Inline marks for bookmarks, TOC, index, etc.
- Word 97 export
- Calculation Editor
- Database Integration
- Gnome: Bonobo Integration
- improvements to RTF importer
- Tip of the Day
- print preview (zoom works as a nice substitute)
- normal view
- drop caps
- paragraph borders and shading
- outline mode
- decimal-aligned tabs
- Table of contents
- macros and scripting
- Multilingual document support for Hebrew, Arabic
- Background color
- This roadmap changes a lot. More specifically, the status and
plan for the project changes a lot, and this roadmap struggles to
- Version numbers use a scheme similar to the Linux kernel:
Major.Minor.Patch -- The Major version number indicates the overall
version of the app, with differences distinguishing very
substantial levels of features. The Minor version number indicates
an overall level of features within that Major version. Odd
numbered Minor versions are development releases which are not in
maintenance. A release with an even numbered Minor version
indicates a release which is believed to be stable and which will
be maintained even as development of the next version proceeds in a
separate source code tree.
- There will not be a 0.8.0 release.
- This is, in some sense, a To-Do list. However, since it does
not include a complete listing of bugs, it should not be regarded
as the only listing of work that needs to be done. The difference
between a bug and a missing feature can be subtle, at times. We
mention a specific bug here under certain circumstances, such as
when we know that we'll want it to be fixed for a certain release.
In general, you should check our bug database for
additional information. The mention of specific bugs in association
with specific releases is not intended to imply that those are the
only bugs which will get fixed for that release.
- In general, this list contains only work which is not yet done.
Once it's done, we remove it from this list. If it's partially
done, we'll remove it and replace it with a reminder of the part
that's not done yet. If you want a summary of what has already been
done, we'd suggest our Bonsai or archives
of the mailing list.
- If you see an email address specified in parenthesis after any
item, that's the person we believe is working on it, or who has
mentioned an intent to do so. If there's no email address there, we
probably don't know who's doing it. Contributors welcome, AbiWord
- Please notify the mailing list if you see anything on this list
which is inaccurate or out-of-date.
- If you want to work on something, please mention your intent to
do so on the mailing list. This will allow us to avoid clashes and
keep this roadmap up to date. Also, most of the features mentioned
below have had at least some discussion, so there is a history of
assumptions about how each feature should work. We don't have a
full, written spec for the behavior of everything, so if you want
to uncover those assumptions, you'll have to ask. :-)
- The project mailing list is firstname.lastname@example.org.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b25
: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 06:35:21 CST