Re: Scripting with Visual Basic Clone

Subject: Re: Scripting with Visual Basic Clone
From: sam th (
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 23:53:29 CDT

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> Could you people talk BASIC fans and make them write BASIC plugin
> to GUILE ??? (GUILE is language independent)

*If* we use Guile (a big if) then I suspect a BASIC plugin could be

> This isn't true Scheme is easy to learn.
> For example, adding 2 + 2
> People tend to think it is 2 + 2, not + 2 2 nor 2 2 +.
> There are of course more such problems.
> I think that for most people who already know some programming
> easy-to-learn = similar-to-C
> because 99% people knowing any programming language know some
> C-like programming language (c, perl, c++, objc, delphi, java, even python)

First, I find the claim that Pascal, Python, Perl and C are all similar
languages strange. They are all similar in that they are all primarily
procedural languages, but they differ widely otherwise.

> Please find (or invent - it's FREE-software world, everyone is free to create
> a new language) a language with minimum syntax and almost-no silly
> characters. Then we will start Replacement-For-VBasic Crusade. :-)
> ( this paragraph is real, there is real lack of such language,
> and inventing languages is easier now that any time before )

Scheme has almost no syntax (see next message).
Scheme has only one "silly character": the parenthesis.
And that character makes programming *easier* in many cases.
                                     sam th
Version: GnuPG v1.0.1 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see