Re: Xlations

Subject: Re: Xlations
From: Eric W. Sink (
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 13:34:22 CDT

>>I second this. Gettext is the standard on Linux and it works very well.
>>The one concern I have is how well this would be supported on platforms
>>such as MacOS.

This is another issue we've been through many times before.

No, we do not have any plans to switch our i18n mechanism to use gettext.
AbiWord is a *cross-platform* project, and we're just not going to always
be able to use the APIs which are familiar to programmers on a specific

But the most important pushback on gettext is:

Our current mechanism works fine. Changing it to gettext will not
improve the experience for the end user. Why change it?

Eric W. Sink, Software Craftsman
SourceGear Corporation