How to build AbiWord for new versions of cygwin

Subject: How to build AbiWord for new versions of cygwin
From: Jeremy Sheeley (
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 11:26:53 CDT

How to set up your windows environment to compile AbiWord (or at least
how I did it).

Step 1: Install the latest version of cygwin (1.1.1)
   1. Create a new directory.
   2. Download
into the new directory.
   3. Open a command prompt and cd to the directory that contains the
setup.exe program.
   4. Run .\setup.exe
   5. Choose the directory where the cygwin environment will be
installed (the default of C:\cygwin should work fine).
   6. Pick internet install (the current directory install is good for
situations where you are reinstalling cygwin).
   7. Pick the mirror that you like best.
   8. Wait for the rest of cygwin to be downloaded and installed.

Step 2: Upgrade to the 20000525 snapshot of cygwin (hopefully this step
will be unnecessary when the next release of cygwin is done).

   1. Download
into the directory where you put setup.exe. If it's not there anymore,
email, and we'll work together to find a suitable
replacement and update this document.
   2. Open the command prompt again and go to the setup.exe directory.
   3. Run .\setup -u cygwin-inst-20000525_tar.gz (note that the filename
may be different after you've downloaded it. Substitute whatever
filename you see when you do a dir in the directory)
   4. You should now be able to start a cygwin session (using the
Start/Programs/Cygnus Solutions/Cygwin 1.1.0 shortcut).
   5. Verify that uname -r gives you 1.1.2s followed by some stuff in

Step 3: Get the source.

   1. See for information on
how to get the abiword source. Note that you will need all of the
extras like zlib, libiconv, etc. Make sure that you get them.

Put all of the sources under c:\abisource.

Step 4: Build the source.

Note for those cygwin experts who know how to change the name of
/cygdrive: Don't do it! The abiword make files are not psychic, they
can't guess what you've named your cygdrive. Stick to the default. If
you don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry.

   1. Be optimistic. Try going into the c:/abisource/abi directory and

That probably worked. If not, email and we'll try
to figure out what's up.