fields -- proposed designs on the table

Subject: fields -- proposed designs on the table
From: Paul Rohr (
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 19:44:26 CDT

The original assertion which got the ball rolling was that fields should be
converted to containers. On this point, at least, there seems to be a lot
of consensus:

Since then, there's been a lot of thought put into a variety of design
approaches, but the three most detailed proposals stem from the following

  POW-like summary of the areas of code to be touched

  Keith: original design

  Justin: clarifications on changing how fields work

At first, it looked like Keith and Justin's approaches were pretty
different, but eventually they started to converge:

  Keith: frag vs. run

  Justin: mostly deferring to Keith

  my elaboration on Keith's proposal, too

  consensus -- no scripting, add a new frag type

Since then, Justin's been taking the lead on a new hybrid design which
builds on a lot of Keith's work. (To be honest, I'm not up to speed on
either approach yet, but this sounds like a Good Thing.)

  Justin: new design, based on Keith's

  Justin: abandoning some out-of-sync code

  Justin: status update

  Justin: plans to use invisible runs

My next step in this area is obviously to get up to speed on all these
discussions so that I can move things forward from there. :-)