Re: wv patch for iso-8859-1 chars in LaTeX output

Subject: Re: wv patch for iso-8859-1 chars in LaTeX output
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 03:09:29 CDT

here is a revision of the earlier patch to allow wv to output
iso-8859-1 characters. A big "thank you!" to Joaquim Cuenca
Abela for pointing out the problem and forcing me to read some
background documentation ;-)

I believe the current patch is correct, almost complete
and "politically correct". And it shrinks the code ;-)

1. The LaTeX output now uses the latin1 (iso-8859-1) encoding,
   which is the best choice until a Unicode/UTF-8 enabled
   LaTeX comes along. Supported are standard iso-8859-1
   ("Latin-1") 8-bit codes for chars 159-255; this is done
   by simple hand-through as these codes are already in the
   char16 variable. So sequences like \"a have vanished.
   (I assume this arrangement makes also implementing
   support for Latin-x easier.)

2. A number of Windows extended chars often found in
   Windows documents were added by hand ("Latin1-Win"),
   also on the Html side. A few had already been done by

3. The Html output now uses consistently Unicode/UTF-8.
   The block that output German characters like a-umlaut as
   ä has been removed, as these are not necessary if
   the doc is marked as being UTF-8 encoded.
   About ß I'm not sure. Left it there.

Please let me know if this is the way to go. The patch is
against the current CVS.

Martin Vermeer
-- Linux means: never having to delete your love letters